Job Title: Transportation Planner
Job Description: The Bluegrass Area Development District, one of fifteen multi-county Area Development Districts (ADD’s) in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, is seeking a regional transportation planner to assist with transportation planning activities in its seventeen county district.
The primary objective of this position is the analysis of transportation systems and data, the identification and evaluation of transportation needs in the region, the coordination of public input for the Kentucky Statewide Transportation Plan, the Kentucky Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan, and the subsequent evaluation and prioritization/ranking of projects in the Unscheduled Needs List (UNL) of the Commonwealth. The candidate will be concerned with all modes of transportation within the geographic boundary.
Department: Community Planning
Supervisor: Director of Community Planning
Location Address: 699 Perimeter Drive, Lexington, Kentucky 40517
Minimum Salary: $43,606
Part Time ___ Hourly ___ Full Time _X__ Salaried _X__
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the implementation of the regional transportation program as defined in the ADD’s contract (Annual Work Program) with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet.
- Identification, evaluation, and prioritization of unscheduled highway, bikeway, pedestrian, and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) needs. This includes a separate local and regional prioritization process and the development/maintenance of project identification forms.
- Maintain the Regional Transportation Committee and insure that its diverse membership meets the public involvement criteria established in MAP 21.
- Work on various Environmental Justice and Community Impact Reports as part of Intermediate Planning Studies, access management efforts and corridor planning. Retrieve and analyze socio-economic data related to transportation planning.
- Coordination efforts in support of the program include serving on various task forces, committees and work groups.
- Coordination of transportation planning activities with adjacent ADDs, MPOs, HDOs and other affected agencies.
- Technical transportation and planning assistance to local governments. Promote inter-jurisdictional collaboration.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles of transportation engineering.
- Knowledge of research methods as applied to the collection, processing and presentation of data.
- Ability to work effectively with committee members, elected officials and the general public.
- Familiarity with the basic computer hardware and software such as word processing, spreadsheets and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)/Global Positioning Systems (GPS).
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Coordination of meetings and activities.
EDUCATIONAL/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO PERFORM THE DUTIES OF THE JOB:
- Graduate of a college or university with a bachelor’s degree (preferred degree in Planning or a related field).
- Two years of professional experience in management or administration in Planning or a related field (Master’s degree will substitute for one year of the suggested experience).
- Proven experience with data analysis and GIS software.
DEADLINE: The position is open until filled.
SUBMIT RESUMES TO: email@example.com.
***BLUEGRASS AREA DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MODIFY, INTERPRET, OR APPLY THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN ANY WAY the Company DESIRES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES, INCLUDING ESSENTIAL DUTIES, TO BE PERFORMED BY THE EMPLOYEE OCCUPYING THIS POSITION.***